Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Spring Break

The though of stewing around my house with nothing to do for Spring Break with all my kids home and Derik at work was more than I could bare, so I decided that I would drive down to Albuquerque, New Mexico to visit my sister and her family.  I'm so grateful that Jon and Heidi were kind enough to let us come hang out at their place for a week. 
Isaac had a boogery cold the week before we left but seemed to be on the mend, so I figured we were in the clear as far as sharing germs were concerned.  We hit the road early Saturday morning and drove 11 plus hours to the beautiful sunshiny city of Albuquerque.  My kids were excellent travelers and the we arrived perfectly safe and sound Saturday evening just in time to catch the last few minutes of my sisters church party. 
On Sunday, Uncle Jon treated us to his delicious waffle breakfast and then we went to church together.  The kids got to go to Sunday School with their cousins and I think they really enjoyed that.  Aunt Heidi made Dylan some ribs for dinner and he loved them! 
Monday
Heidi and I took the kids flower shopping.  I think I might have been the only one who found any satisfaction and joy in our little flower shopping trip.   I could spend days browsing green houses and nurseries and never tire of it.  After we got home we made dinner and planted flowers.  Thanks Heidi for letting me help you pick flowers and plant them.  I loved getting my hands dirty.
Tuesday 
Heidi, the kids and myself, hit the fabric store and bought enough fabric to sew Dylan a pillowcase, and Livie and myself a three tiered skirt. Lets just say that sewing isn't something I've started off being talented at.  So Heidi ended up sewing everything.  It did however spark an interest in me.  I'm determined to pull out my new sewing machine this week and get to practicing!  This is the skirt Heidi made for Alivia it turned out so cute.  Even better is the fact that my Heidi captured these gorgeous photos.  My sister Heidi is so talented at everything she does.
I'll post a picture of my skirt as soon as I find the nerve to take a picture of myself....
Wednesday 
Heidi's girls get out of school early (on Wednesdays) so we headed over to a park to play while Morgan went to Piano Lessons.  After wards we went to the Aquarium in Albuquerque. I really enjoyed my time there.  Theri exhibits are really cool.  I loved the Jelly fish.
And this giant exhibit of sharks and sea turtles was awesome!

After we finished with the aquarium, we walked over to the botanical gardens. My kids loved being able to explore and run around.  They had a huge miniature train set and Dylan chased after the trains until they put them away.
Thursday 
Heidi sewed skirts and this pillowcase dress, while I watched.  I think it turned out really cute.  
Our sewing fun came to an abrupt stop when poor Braden hit his head on the table and split open his forehead, I felt so bad for him.While we waited for Braden to come home from the insta-care, the kids all colored Easter eggs.  Aunt Heidi is the Best!
Friday
Heidi pulled her girls from school so they could come hang out with us at the zoo. I loved the Albuquerque Zoo too, it was awesome.  I loved the Flamingo's (even though they stink) their coloring is my favorite, which I learned comes from the Crustaceans they eat!
Dylan thought he had died and gone to heaven when he finally got to see the Komodo Dragons.
We watched the seals eat their breakfast, they even applied sunscreen to one of them (what the ?).  We watched one monkey eat his feces and the other throw up his lunch and then eat it again.  The kids were so disgusted and fascinated!  The polar bears were awesome too, they were doing a little dance that was mesmerizing to watch.  It was a fun experience!
After we got home from the zoo Aunt Heidi had another Easter craft for the kids to do.  They got to make these adorable bunnies.


THANK YOU HEIDI!
You cooked , cleaned, refereed, entertained, listened, photographed, and gave us one fabulous vacation.  Even though Alivia and Braden fought like cats and dogs, and the other kids had their moments, I think all they will really remember is the time spent together and the fun things they got to do!

Isaac has a terrible habit of swiping other kids sippie cups and poor J's was no exception, unfortunately he shared his boogery germs with her and got her sick, I feel so terrible for getting such a great weekend and giving such an awful thank you present!  Here's hoping she get better really really quick!
My kids were fabulous on the drive home on Saturday.  I listened to a church book on CD for a better portion of the time.  It was really a great 11 hour ride. 
Dylan told me something super funny in the car on the way home and I told myself to remember exactly what he said so I could write it down and just like that it left my head.   So here's what I think I remember, although it's not going to be as funny because it was the way he said it that made it so comical!
"Mom I think it's funny how boy peacocks have beautiful tails that they flash to the girl birds and impress them so they can mate."  "My teacher told me another word for mating is breeding."  I want to breed endangered animals, so they don't disappear, like the frogs we saw at the zoo."

That sort of left me speechless! 

On a closing note, Heidi captured these photo's of my kids for me. 
I LOVE them! (Both the Pictures and my Kids!)

Dylan 
Just a week shy of his 8th birthday.
 Alivia 
4 years old

Isaac
1 Year Old

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Sounds like you've got a good-hearted smarty pants on your hands (Dylan). Your babies are beautiful, but then I'm sure you know that! Love you!